On March 11, 1681, Thomas Minshall, a Quaker from Cheshire, England, purchased 625 acres of land in America from William Penn to be laid out in Pennsylvania. The land extended from Providence Road eastward to Crum Creek. In 1699 Minshall donated the property across Providence Road to The Providence Friends Meeting. A village called Providence sprang up along the Great Providence Road. Opposite the Meeting House was a collection of buildings, including a tailor shop, blacksmith shop, wheelwright, and barn. The Minshall house, built by Minshall’s descendant, Thomas Nuzuum, is the only one of this group still standing and, being over 250 years old, is believed to be the oldest house in Media.
There were many owners of this house from the Minshalls and their descendants to many others. In 1937 ownership passed to Marion and George T. Lewis and in May of 1975 Marion Lewis, now a widow, deeded the house to the citizens of the Borough of Media in the name of her husband. When there was a possibility that it might be torn down, the teachers and students at Media Elementary School marched to its defense. The house was saved and brought back to life under the watchful eye of architect, John Dickey. It was restored and designated as a historical site and museum. The furniture and artifacts, donated by various sources, are of the period.
The mission of the Media Historical Society is to preserve and share our community’s past through the conservation and maintenance of the Minshall House, which serves to inspire an appreciation of our history and culture.